Carly

Portfolio Managers, plus Data Entry, Edit and Maintenance

Hello Questers,

Please can someone point me in the direction of guidance to support the communication that when there are large teams working on projects, it does not make sense to have all of the team members editing Meisterplan? I feel that it will lead to a higher level of data quality and consistency if edit rights are limited, guidance is clear and portfolio managers (across a number of portfolios in our case) work towards maintaining compliance with data entry, edit and maintenance expectations.

Many thanks.

Carly

• Thumb Up 1

Hi Carly, 

thank you for your question, I totally agree that limiting edit rights to specific user groups leads to a higher level of data quality and consistency.

Indeed it doesn't make sense to have everyone editing Meisterplan. Instead, we recommend limiting edit rights to the specific user groups. I.e. project managers should be able to maintain their project data and team members should get read-only access to get the information they need. An elaborate role & rights concept combined with a structured portfolio view can thus be a big benefit for your data quality. In fact, you can find a list of recommended user rights depending on the role in our help center. Let me know if you're missing something. 

I also saw that you already registered for our next Meisterplan Round Tables, that's great news! In June we will talk about how scenarios and portfolios help you manage your PPM and in August we will discuss how to keep your PPM data up-to-date. I'm happy to hear you participate and look forward to our discussion!

Best regards,

Jana

• Thumb Up 1

Thank you @Jana Rybak - the list that you mentioned is really useful, I hadn't spotted that.

One thing I haven't managed to work out is how can I give edit rights to a User in one Portfolio, but ensure that they can see (without edit rights) other Portfolios in the same Instance?

Thanks again.

Carly

Hi Carly, 

that's a very good question. Unfortunately, that's not possible at the moment, as the rights are given on the user level, not on portfolio level. E.g. a user can edit all portfolios he can see. 

What is possible though and a common workaround by other customers is to give 2 users to one person. These users can be based on the same mail address, they only need to have a different user name. For example, I could have two users: 

1. User "jana rybak edit" can edit specific portfolios
  2. User "jana rybak view" can only view specific portfolios

With this approach, you have to take care though that you don't share an overall portfolio (like "All projects") with all users, as a portfolio shared with all users could be edited by everyone with edit rights. 

We're currently reworking the role & rights concept to make it easier and more transparent who can do what and where in Meisterplan. In the meantime, the option described above is the best solution I've come across so far. 

Best regards,

Jana