Stephan Anders

About me - Nice meeting you!

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.” This ancient Chinese proverb by a Confucian scholar would be probably translated best into what we nowadays call “learning by doing”.  Put plans into action, execute them well and see what “lessons learned” can be derived from it for future endeavors. Let’s share these lessons here.

I myself started working in international and multicultural settings and teams in the late 90’s. Since then it has become a passion. These projects have taken me into different regions of the world, including Portland, OR; Stellenbosch (South Africa), Reykjavik (Iceland) and most recently, to Toronto, Canada.

In my experience, different cultural norms and behaviors, and the acknowledgement and interpretation thereof, play such a crucial role for a project plan to succeed. I ask you, what is your own practical knowledge?

Three more things about me:

-       Proud to be born in Lübeck, Germany, marzipan capital of the world

-       I hold degrees in International Relations, Business Administration and Law

-       I am an avid sports fan, and a good part of my heart belongs to Fußball (after two years in North America I still have trouble calling it soccer).  In returning to the idea of cultural norms and behaviors, I have quickly learned that Hockey is more than just a game to Canadians.

Edited by Stephan Anders