Mihai.Rotariu

Changing the calendar of a resource does not change the hours / year

Hi all,

I would like to use this forum to share Meisterplan knowledge and best practices but also share findings, see where we can improve our planning and portfolio data analysis and more important Meisterplan ...etc.

I have the below scenario:

I have 2 resources in my Resource pool with 2 different calendars

• Default calendar with 40 h / week
  • Danish Calendar with 35 h / week (comes with exceptions for public holidays and vacation - total of 30 days)

If I allocate these 2 resources with different calendars to the same project (1 year length)  and assign them 1 FTE for the entire project period it gives me 2088 hour / year for both of the resources. In this case, the amount of allocation hours / resource / year does not take into consideration the calendar. Can we receive an explanation on how we are suppose to use the Calendar?

I attached 2 screenshots to visualize the issue in this scenario. The last resources have a different calendar all of them. 1543058970_Picture2.png.fe53b12f9ee6172a9a365af0e556b932.png

1422595560_Picture1.png.6a914a628d2841a99ce651e5740d14ae.png380538797_Picture4.PNG.331e387491bd8371c8fdd86080d97f68.PNG

Edited by Mihai.Rotariu

Hi Mihai, 

Thanks for your post!

The calculation of hours represented by 1 FTE in a certain time period always refers to the calendar which is defined as default calendar in Meisterplan.

So, when entering 1 FTE allocation, you enter the amount of hours based on the default calendar. This is why both resources have 2,088 h. The difference is, that the resource with the danish calendar will be over-allocated due to the minor capacity based on the danish calendar.

Summed up:

• A calendar determines the capacity of a resource
  • The FTE calculation always refers to the calendar which is defined as default

You will also find additional information in our Help Center > see Full Time Equivalent (FTE).

If you want to book a resource with her full capacity, independent from the assigned calendar, it would be more comfortable to plan in percentage of a resource´s capacity. We already added this idea to our backlog.

Best regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your answer but I am still a bit confused about this topic.

Let's say we have 2 resources with 2 different calendars (India and China with their respective hours).

Both of these resources represent 1 resource therefore 1 FTE (Full time equivalent). The way I understand it works :

• Capacity for India is 1.2 FTE because they have 40 hours (Indian calendar).
  • Capacity for China is 0.88 FTE because they have 35 hours (China calendar )
  • Default calendar(Denmark) has 37 hours
  • The above doesn't make sense if you want to simplify the allocation process. If we have 7 calendars(NL, CN , IN , DK , DE, UK, ES)  how do we set the default calendar and how can we avoid not to check manually the capacity for each month / resource. 

Scanario: Have a team(20 resources) in 4 different locations(4 different calendars without exceptions) and you want to allocate(50%) of their time to a project within a timeline of 3 years. You basically don't know what 50% is so You have to manually check (hoover over  ) on the capacity line for each resource for each month their available capacity and allocate accordingly to be in balance.This should be a simple task, but if we take only 1 Project we are talking about  36 month * 20 resources = 720 manual allocation. I do not think anyone wants to do that on a portfolio level. :)  

Please invite me for a short session where we can discuss this issue. At this point we cannot really use the calendars since is going to kill us in managing the allocations for 1000 resources on 150 projects. 

This scenario is not taking into consideration the calendar exceptions: If you add those on top, I don't know how anyone can manage this because the capacity for each month becomes a unique value.

• The above  resource have other issues
    • Days calculation (for China I get 20.13 days and for India I get 23 days) In reality, both resources work the same amount of days, they just work different hours per day.

@Manuel Schneider can you please invite me for a short alignment? Any timeline for the percentage release? At this point it does not make any sense to use calendars.

Best, Mihai

Edited by Mihai.Rotariu
  • Thumb Up 1

Hi Mihai,

Thanks again for your post, it contains valuable input to the development of allocations in percent. Let me quickly sum up how our current handling of allocations works and how it differs from the logic of allocations in percent.

The logic behind our current way to handle allocations is the following: a project causes workload; this workload is estimated and distributed to resources or roles. In order to still be able to compare the workload, it is important that the allocation (in FTE, but also in days or hours) does not adjust to the calendar of the assigned resource. In other words: the workload does not shrink, just because a resource with less capacity is assigned to do the job.

Your requirement follows a different logic: you would like to allocate a resource with a certain percentage of its capacity, no matter how many FTE/days/hours that is – don’t you? I agree that this way of planning has advantages, most of all it certainly simplifies the initial planning of a complex portfolio.

Because allocations in percent are so valuable to you and other Meisterplan customers as well, we are now working on a concept of how this feature could look like. We will keep you updated in this thread.

To everyone who is interested: Please don’t hesitate to join the discussion! Are allocations in percent valuable for your way of planning? How should the feature look like?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Regards

Manuel

Hi @Mihai.Rotariu,

quick summary before we go into detail: The topic/feature is still in definition.

The topic proved to be more complex than it might seem to be at first glance. Especially for the question of what to do with an allocation in percent when we move an affected project along the timeline, your feedback was very helpful - thanks again! Still, we would like to collect further feedback by interested customers and need to clarify how allocations in percent would work in Meisterplan. The main goal is to make sure that we improve Meisterplan efficiently and with high quality.

Furthermore, we want to stick to our promises, All topics on the hot topic list (https://help.meisterplan.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005149734-Meisterplan-Hot-Topics ) still have priority and are currently worked on. Further potential new features, like allocations in percent, will be considered after these hot topics.

Best regards to Denmark and talk to you soon!

Manuel

Hello,  we also would be interested in allocations in percent as this will simplify the entry of data especially for department managers. They use it to lock time for daily business.

Best regards

• Thumb Up 1